As one of the nation’s favourite pets, cats have always held a special place in the home. From young families to pensioners almost one in four households has at least one cat (an estimated 10.5 million cats). Cat owners benefit from the unique love and companionship cats bring.
In this General Election year, 2015, Cats Protection League (CPL) have launched their Manifesto for Cats and will be calling on the new Government to put in place measures to protect cats from abandonment, harm and neglect. After a three-month public consultation 93 per cent of participants agreed with all of their 10 suggested manifesto priorities which are designed to benefit cats, owners and society as a whole.
The Manifesto for Cats was unveiled at a parliamentary reception for invited MPs and guests which was hosted by Neil Parish MP and supported by PetPlan. CPL were joined by the Minister for Animal Welfare, Lord de Mauley and the Shadow Minister Angela Smith MP.
CPL’s Manifesto priorities include calls for tighter regulation of the licensing of air guns and banning the use of snares – both of which cause unimaginable pain and suffering, through injury and death, to cats on a daily basis. They’re also calling for measures to control the breeding and sale of kittens to drive out unscrupulous breeders and prevent the growing number of unwanted cats.
- Write to your MP – you can make a real difference by writing to your MP and urging them to support the Manifesto for Cats. Click here to send an email directly to your MP’s inbox – if you’d prefer to write a letter by hand that’s great too – for further guidance or advice on this either email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to: The Advocacy Manager, Cats Protection, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath, Sussex RH17 7TT
- Watch and share CPL’s Youtube video of volunteers and their cats
- Read a summary of the Manifesto for Cats or read the full manifesto
- Follow the #CatManifesto hashtag on Twitter.
- Visit CPL’s blog to see behind the scenes at the first ever parliamentary launch of a Manifesto for Cats